A little fictional murder and mayhem is good for the soul—or so I’ve always believed. Turns out, I’m not alone in this, given that 16 local authors have banded together to publish crime stories that run the gamut from kidnapping to fraud to murder to conspiracy. #HeistClub was a crime writing class run by Mina V. Esguerra in the latter part of 2015, and this month, the “graduates” have banded together to throw a celebratory shindig to launch the three book bundles they’ve put together.
For a bit more details on the stories and the class itself, here’s what they had to say about the brief they were given:
Each crime story had to be set in the Philippines, and it had to be written in English. Each story should pave the way for a series, so it should be Case #1, with the next cases in the works for subsequent release. A foreign language needed to be incorporated into the story, with our sponsor, Enderun providing the writers free translation services.
The following mentors gave invaluable tips and lessons to the writers during the course of the workshop: Jennifer Hillier, F.H. Batacan, R.J. Taduran, Kevin Uy, Juliet Grames, and Andrea Pasion-Flores.
The result? Sixteen stories grouped into three book bundles, which were originally published on local online book store Buqo. Many of these stories have since been launched as solo titles both on Buqo and Amazon.
But keep reading for details on the bundles, which will be launched at 6PM on June 25, 2016, at Enderun’s The Study. This can be found on the fourth floor of The Podium, Ortigas Center. If you’d like to attend, you can check out the event page and like the #HeistClub Facebook fan page.
#HeistClub Book Bundles
- Bayawak’s Trail by Justine Camacho-Tajonera
- The Fraud Hunter Book 1: Chasing an ATM Schemer by Racquel Sarah A. Castro
- The Retreat by Yeyet Soriano
- Come With Me by Michael Recto
- Inertia by Sette Luis
- Till Death Do Us Apart by Irene Recio
- Soul Makers by Jee Ann Guibone
- Classified by Georgette S. Gonzales
- High Stakes by Ana Valenzuela
- Dressed to Kill by Cassandra Javier
- Snakehead by Bianca Mori
- Sampaguita by Mark Manalang
- Let’s Play Murder by Farrah F. Polestico
- Corpus Delicti by Porcupine Strongwill
- The Flame Squad: Sly Prince by Jessica E. Larsen
- The Gung Ho Lady by Arlene Manocot
Don’t forget these deets for the event:
What: #HeistClub Launch
When: 6PM on June 25, 2016
Where: The Study by Enderun, 4th floor, The Podium, Ortigas